Saturday, July 29, 2006
Ming - The Right Man for the Job
Seeing as we are all in the habit of passing judgement on Mings record thus far, lets look at his record:
1. Dunfermline By-election - Victory with a huge swing!
2. Some losses but also some good gains whilst consolidating our by-election victories in the English Local Elections 2006.
3. Bromley and Chislehurst - Swing of 17% and narrowly missing victory by 633 votes.
4. A refocussed Parliamentary party with sensible tax proposals - ditching the proposal of 50% tax on high incomes and switching to a system of Eco-Tax.
5. A sensible and balanced approach to Foreign Policy and our relationship with the US.
It is becoming more and more apparent to people that Sir Menzies Campbell is the voice of reason in Westminster.
See http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/menzies_campbell/2006/07/ceasefire_now.html for further details.
We should certainly not judge Ming on the basis of one opinion poll in the Guardian, for that would be nothing more than self-defeatist and the Liberal Democrats are better than that.
We are supposed to be the party of Optimism aren't we? A party that offers hope to millions of voters who now realise that neither the Labour Party nor the Conservative Party listen to their views, opinions and concerns.
- Richie Northcote