- The Fuel Poverty Bill will bring in two measures:
- A major energy efficiency programme to bring existing homes up to the current energy efficiency levels enjoyed by modern homes.
- Social tariffs to limit vulnerable households’ exposure to high-energy bills.
- These proposals will be great for the environment whilst also making a real difference to pensioners and others struggling to pay their energy bills. An estimated five million households are faced with the terrible choice between heating and eating this winter.
- These proposals deserve the support of politicians from all parties. We hope that Dr Francis and Mr Hain will give the bill their support when it is debated in the House of Commons.
The measures in the bill have received the backing of many major charities and campaign groups, including Help the Aged, Friends of the Earth, Consumer Focus and the Association for the Conservation of Energy. They were also included in the Liberal Democrats’ Green Road out of Recession package.