Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Victory declared for ‘upskirting’ Bill

The Liberal Democrats have declared victory in their bid to make ‘upskirting’ a specific criminal offence.
 
Following Tory MP Christopher Chope’s shocking move to block Wera Hobhouse’s Bill last week, the Justice Minister met Wera Hobhouse yesterday afternoon and, on behalf of the Government, agreed to take her Bill through Parliament.
 
Wera said: 
 
“I’m very happy that the law is changing, this is a huge victory for women across the country. I hope this can go through on Friday 6th July with my Bill, but my main concern now is that the law is changed as soon as possible and therefore I also welcome the Government Bill.
 
“It seems unfair that just one person was able to block a Bill that we had spent so long building cross party consensus behind, but reform for Private Members' Bills is for another day.

“I’d like to thank everyone who has written to me over the weekend sharing their stories, I know how much this means to so many. Thank you for your support throughout this, the law would not be changing without you.”

No comments: