The Liberal Democrats have responded to claims by Lynn Faulds Wood – author of an independent report - that the government has taken no action on her demand to increase the safety of electrical goods. This is hugely significant as it seems increasingly clear that the Grenfell fire was started due to faulty electrical products.
Wera Hobhouse MP, Liberal Democrat DCLG spokesperson, said:
"The government is risking lives by failing to protect consumers from faulty products that can cause fires.
"There have been repeated calls for action, both before and after the tragedy at Grenfell Tower, yet the government has failed to make any changes to improve electrical safety and has failed to implement the recommendations of the Lynn Faulds Wood report on product recall.
"Changes such as introducing compulsory electrical safety tests in all rented homes every five years, as is already the case for gas checks, would be straightforward to implement and would reduce the fire risk to households.
"It must not take another Grenfell before the Government decides to act."